#Convertsations: What’s the deal with hijab?

Bismillahir rahmanir raheem

InshaAllah, the next 2 posts will be about clothes but don’t go throwing everything away yet – that will come in the next post.

This is a subject that’s very close to my heart and I can imagine any new Muslimahs. As women, we are socially conditioned to follow fashion trends, new and old, to look a certain way to feel professional or to seemingly please ourselves.

Coco Chanel famously said, “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.”

But what it means to dress impeccably has changed so much and continues to change with the social shifts in society, I can see how a Muslimah (or even a Muslim) would feel like they’re “behind with the times”.

Clothing in Islam is way more than hijab, but that’s not what you’re lead to believe before you come to the deen. I literally thought hijab was just the cloth on your head as I saw so many that interpreted it in that way and even this to begin with was very much a struggle. I remember the first day I tried to wear hijab, I didn’t make it to the end of my road subhanAllah! I thought everyone was staring at me thinking “Oh, she’s one of those Muslims now, covering herself because she thinks we all want to violate her body. Acting backwards and distrusting men because we’re all perverts.”

Everyday I struggled with myself to wear sleeves that were a little bit longer, maxi skirts instead of mini or pencil, slightly looser clothing as opposed to skin tight. This was me, struggling with the physical ideals imposed by society to fulfill my obligations to Allah swt.

Allah swt didn’t give us a “dress code” or guidelines to make you feel ugly, unattractive or to ‘hide you’ because you’re a walking talking fitna, but to elevate your status so you become more than the cloth on your back subhanAllah.

Hijab was revealed for men first, then women and in Surat an- Nur ayat 30, men are commanded to lower their gaze first before women. But you’d expect from the popular, mainstream narrative on hijab that women were the only ones that the hijab appliedto.

The conditions of hijab for women are as follows:

1.  Clothing should cover all of the body apart from that which is apparent. “That which is apparent” has been interpreted as a number of things but the majority of scholars are in agree that the hands can be visible. There is some debate about the face but there are opinions to support the niqab and some that indicate the face does not need to be covered. Allah swt knows best.
  2. The clothing should not be an adornment in itself. So put away those blinged up hijab pins and camel hump volumisers ladies, you don’t need them!
  3. The fabric should not be see through
  4. Clothing should be loose and not tight so individual body parts cannot be identified
  5. Perfume is not permissible
  6. Your clothes should not resemble men’s clothing
  7. Your clothing should not resemble that of the disbelievers
  8. Your clothes should not be worn for reasons of fame of vanity

So, if you love and respect Allah swt as you should, showing a bit of hair, wrist or ankle is NOT ok. We as Muslims need to unshackle ourselves from the mental oppression of society and hold firm to the rope of Allah swt and trust that He swt knows best. This is called tawakkul.

If you’d like more in depth articles on each condition of hijab, please do feel free to leave a comment below and I’ll try my best to include them inshaAllah.

InshaAllah you’ve enjoyed this installment of #Convertsations. Make sure to use the hashtag and contact me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Wasalaam – Peace Be Upon You

27 thoughts on “#Convertsations: What’s the deal with hijab?

1. S.TMGuide (@UmmAboudi) says:

Mashaa Allah, this is such an important topic. I would appreciate it if you could clarify 6: clothes can not resemble men’s clothing” what would that include?

2. Muslimah92 says:

Mashallah this is well written.

Alhamdulillah. I wear a hijab and I don’t wear a niqab. So, I am usually covered from head to toe with either a long skirt or a dress, alhamdlillah. But I sometimes feel like a fitna. And im really not pretty so there is nothing to see but I still feel like a fitna. For example: I went for an interview with a muslim guy and subhanallah, his lowering his gaze made me feel like a fitna. Does that make sense?
    And when you wrote: “Allah swt didn’t give us a “dress code” or guidelines to make you feel ugly, unattractive or to ‘hide you’ because you’re a walking talking fitna, but to elevate your status so you become more than the cloth on your back subhanAllah.” It really spoke to me.

So may I ask, how can I feel less of a fitna when I am covered from head to toe?

• ChristalBlogs says:

Jazakillahu khayrun for the comment sis. Both men and women are commanded by Allah swt to lower their gazes so the brother was only following a command of Allah swt and rightly so mashaAllah. You have to trust Allah swt. You could wear niqab and still be a fitna to men, if you have fulfilled your obligation to Allah swt but they have not, they will be questioned about it on the Day of Judgement and not you. And Allah swt knows best

• Muslimah92 says:

Subhanllah, we were both lowering our gaze during the interview and to be honest, I was grateful when i didn’t get the job for obvious reasons. At my last workplace, all l my co-workers were females and one male who was married to one of my female co-workers. Subahanallah, I appreciate female co-workers more than I did before that interview.

May Allah help us. May Allah make us of those who fulfill our obligations. May Allah associate us with those who fulfill their obligations.

• ChristalBlogs says:

Lol subhanAllah. I think its a Middle Eastern thing, not sure how it got so popular but Allah swt and the Messenger called that trend MANY years ago. It’s SO last century now! :’D Jazakillahu khayrun for the comment

3. Muslim Mummy says:

Hijab really does seem to have been taken out of context…you are right. Some are concerned more about a cloth on their head than their actually personality and behaviour. And the weird fashions that are coming out? I am often speechless.

• ChristalBlogs says:

Lol subhanAllah me and you both! Sometimes I feel like I’m behind with the times and then other times I’m greatful that I don;t have to keep up with these weird trends! jazakillahu khayrun for the comment

• ChristalBlogs says:

Very sensitive indeed! I often feel like with topics like this its best to just be straight forward and honest, we can’t and wouldn’t want to, change the decree of Allah swt as He knows best

4. saharrana2015 says:

Salaamz Christal,
    once again I love how you break it down so simply and practically. May Allah swt reward you immensely. Hijab means different things to different people. My own interpretation has changed over the years and probably will continue to change. I don’t think hijab should mean ugly, in my opinion hijab means ‘not sexy’ I dunno if that makes sense!

• ChristalBlogs says:

Walaykumu salaam sis, jazakillahu khayrun for the comment. Its true, hijab means many things to many different people. In a way thats the beauty of the way Allah swt has decreed it alhamdulillah, its both universal and personal to us as Muslimahs

5. Weronika Ozpolat says:

I can really really relate to the struggles you talk about. Very informative article and I like the way you have numbered the points about hijab. I also love the quote from coco chanel 🙂

6. Aaisha says:

Is it okay to spray some perfume inside of your clothing or on your neck so that you don’t smell like body odour?! I’m brown and we sweat and smell sometimes 🙁