5 Thoughts on Becoming Muslim

The 'Basmallah', used by Muslims because we believe every good deed should begin in the name of Allah

becoming muslim

This is not an article about regret. I could never feel regret for this beautiful gift Allah swt has given me. But, there are some things I wish I would have known before I became Muslim. Certain things that would have made my transition easier.

When I look back and reflect there are a number of things I wish I would have prepared myself for. I see these 5 things as my own personal tests from Allah swt.

losing friends

When you become Muslim, it’s not just your non-Muslim friends you may lose. You may lost the friends you meet at the beginning of your journey. This doesn’t mean cutting ties with them out of malice, you may just grow apart. Each person’s imaan develops at a different rate. My advice would be to always keep ties with your Muslim sisters and exchange the Salam as is an obligation upon you.

And don’t worry, whatveer Allah swt takes, He will replace with better. Here’s my guide to reaching jannah with friends so when you do find new ones, you start on the right foot insha Allah.

low iman

You will have points of low imaan, it’s all part of the test . Some think that if you have low imaan then you’re not a good Muslim or you’re ‘not trying hard enough’. Even the Prophet’s (as) used to feel despair when his own people turned against him. Renewing your faith is so most important and it should be a continual act. The Prophet (saw) said “The heart of the son of Adam is more unstable than the boiling water in a pot.” It may boil, but don’t let the water run dry!

fasting isn’t that hard

this is a personal one to me. I distinctly remember before I embraced Islam, Muslims would constantly complain about how hard fasting was during Ramadhan. They would make others feel uncomfortable about eating/drinking in front of them and complain about Maghrib (the evening salah) being so late. My advice to you is, cherish that time in Ramadhan. Once it’s gone it’s gone and there’s no guarantee you’ll get another one. There are so many things you can do when you’re not eating that can be classed as ibaadah (worship). The Prophet Yaqoob (Jacob) (as) said “I only complain of my grief and sorrow to Allah.” [Surah Yusuf v.86] and we should do the same!

TRUE ACCEPTANCE

Those that accept you for who you are will always be there  This is an important lesson. Not only for us Muslims but those considering embracing Islam and are worried they will have no one to turn to afterwards. Those that love you from the inside out will always be there. I have had the same 3 friends from university for years now and Islam didn’t change our friendship one bit alhamdulillah! They accept me for who I am, what I believe and have always respected my deen (religion/ way of life). May Allah swt guide them, Ameen. One of my best friends is a Seventh Day Adventist and since I came to Islam she has learnt a lot more about Islam. We realised we now have more in common now than we did when I was Christian subhanAllah!

keep your clothes ‘NON-MUSLIM’

You don’t have to throw away all your ‘pre-Islam’ clothes . This may seem like a trivial one but I know Muslim reverts that have done it and regretted it. Thinking you have to get rid of all your clothes can be a daunting task and may even be the thing that holds you back from coming to the deen. This may seem shallow to some but these are my experiences after all.

Most things can be ‘halalified’ i.e. putting a long sleeved top underneath or cardigan over tops etc. I was about to get rid of my clothes and my mom reminded me that just because I couldn’t wear it outside of the house, it didn’t mean I had to throw it away. I could wear the clothes I loved inside the house as much as I wanted! Alhamdulillah for the wisdom of mothers and may Allah swt guide mine to Islam, Ameen!

At the moment I’m putting together some exciting new resources for new Muslims and your feedback would be much appreciated.

What do you wish you would have known before embracing? Are you thinking about becoming Muslim?

5 Thoughts on Becoming Muslim by Christal Joan. Muslim blogger + life coach

CHRISTAL JOAN Muslim blogger + life coach Blog Signature

18 thoughts on “5 Thoughts on Becoming Muslim

1. Aisha says:

Oh yes. Points are valid. I have been muslim since birth Alhamdulillah. The throwing of pre-islam clothes is one that i can relate to maybe because I did not start wearing the hijab from birth. You can also use them for a girls night in. It must be a bit hard and exciting being a new muslim right?

• Christal Joan says:

Defo difficult at times but it’s like restarting your life. It’s so refreshing and eye opening. You develop along with your iman making you stronger than you’ve ever been alhamdulillah

2. beflawless says:

Great ideas! I’m a born Muslim though. The point you raised about fasting in Ramadan, thats so true! We make it seem weird to others by complaining a lot! And loved the low iman part! JazakiAllahu khair for such an amazing post!

• Christal Joan says:

Wa iyyaki sis. So many of the points can relate to being born into a Muslim family as well. We often go through the same struggles

3. Multicultural Motherhood says:

I really enjoyed reading this article. I particularly like the last point about not throwing away your ‘non-muslim’ clothes. I did throw out all my non-muslim clothes and get a whole modest wardrobe and I do regret it now. I wish I had kept a few of my favourites to wear around the house as that kind of clothing made me feel good and I miss that. #MuslimahBloggers

• Christal Joan says:

Alhamdulillah my mom stopped me before I did. It also broke the notion for me that women only dress like that for men. I love dressing up just for me and I know what my intentions are now for doing so

• Christal Joan says:

Jazakillahu khayrun sis. I really enjoyed your post too. I wish I was more creative so I could write poetry that’s so powerful

4. Zainab Dokrat says:

Being born a Muslim I love reading and hearing from people who become Muslims. It’s so amazing mashallah you have such a beautiful journey, may Allah make it easy for you.

5. Sainab says:

Ahhh yes, I think the keeping your clothes part is one I’ve heard a few reverts say they wish they done. Thank you for sharing, it’s always wonderful to know how people feel about this subject.

• Christal Joan says:

Clothes are so much a part of our identity and it can be confusing when you first become Muslim because you’re still trying to figure out who you are. Alhamdulillah you soon realise you can fuse the best of the old with the best of the new. Jazakillahu khayrun for the comment sis

6. Umm Ruqaiya says:

Simple and well written article. I really appreciate you putting it down in words for New Muslims, Non Muslims who may be considering Islam, and us by birth Muslims too. I personally feel it is very important for us too to learn how new Muslims feel so that #1 we can help someone in the transition if they just accepted Islam #2 understand those who have done transition and develop a stronger bond with them. Many times we are unable to have stronger bonds with new muslims because we really do not see world from their eyes. SubhanAllah. Jazakillahu khair for sharing.

• Christal Joan says:

Masha Allah beautiful reflection there sis. And you’re right. By putting these things out there we can learn how to better support people in these positions so they never have to feel misunderstood or alone. Jazakillahu khayrun for the comment

7. Carla says:

Yes, I can definitely relate to this! Alhamdulillah, I wouldn’t change a single aspect of my journey as a new Muslim, but if there was anything I’d add to this list, it would be to give yourself space to grow. At the very beginning, I tried desperately to convince my family that I’m still just the same old me, whereas actually so many changes were happening within me, and I should have embraced them rather than try to hide them. Change is a beautiful thing! 🙂 <3

• Christal Joan says:

This is such a beautiful reflection sis masha Allah. I know what you mean though, you’re so conscious of embracing change and alienating people that sometimes you stunt your own growth when the whole reason you embrace Islam is to grow into a better person subhanAllah