Christal Joan: Find out why I chose to wear the hijab after embracing Islam and read my review of Hidden Pearls a hijab company

Why I Chose to Wear The Hijab

The 'Basmallah', used by Muslims because we believe every good deed should begin in the name of Allah. All the articles on Christal Joan will start with the Basmallah because nothing is possible without Allah

Firstly, let me just address what I mean when I say hijab in the context of this article. I’m referring to the scarf that Muslim women wear on their heads and use to cover their chests.

Hijab is a hot topic amongst the Muslim and non-Muslim communities. Whether it’s Muslims debating over what is “real” hijab is or non-Muslims insisting we’re all oppressed and that we should tear it off in protest – it can be a muddy issue.

Hijab: my early thoughts

For me the concept was always simple. Before I became Muslim I knew it was an obligation. I was ever under any illusions otherwise. Why? I can’t really tell you why. Maybe Allah had already put the acceptance of hijab in my heart to some extent.

When I became Muslim, it became even more obvious why hijab needed to be a part of my identity as a Muslim.

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

Christal Joan: A verse from the Quran as to why Muslim women wear hijab and why it's so important

Contrary to popular belief, Allah does not legislate veiling first and foremost, to hide us from the unsolicited gaze of non-Mahram (men that I can uncover in front of) men but to help the world identify us as Muslim women. SubhanAllah, as soon as I understood this I knew it was for me.

my first time

Although I knew hijab was for me, that doesn’t mean the journey has been easy. My first hijab was actually gifted to me by none other than my mum. She came with me to Only Hijab on Ladypool Road in Birmingham and bought me the whole shabang. Hijab, pins, under scarf everything. It was plain black.

The next day I tried it on after watching a multitude of “simple hijab style” YouTube videos. I didn’t recognise myself, but in a good way. My mission, make it through the day with it on. The reality, I didn’t even make it to the end of my road. Everyday I tried it, and everyday I made it a little bit further but never all the way. I thought all eyes were on me, they probably weren’t but that’s what I felt.

About 3 months in, alhamdulillah I made it and I never looked back.

personal growth

Every Muslim women must come to their own understanding of why hijab is for them. Part of why I was able to embrace hijab the way I did during my earlier years as a Muslim was because it wasn’t forced on me. Alhamdulillah, I was given the time and space as a new Muslim to grow and understand why it was a part of my Muslim identity.

I also had a (mostly) accepting family that knew this was part of being a Muslim women and so accepted it for what it was.

I now realise that this isn’t common place amongst all Muslims, whether you’re new to the deen or not. It’s not just your family that may influence your decision but society as well. With recent attacks on Muslim women because we’re ‘visible’, I can see why sister’s would struggle to embrace this command of Allah. Fozia over at Muslim Mummies recently featured Muslim bloggers (including myself) on this very subject. Head over and check it out!

I urge you sisters, remember who we’re here for. Allah. This was part of my personal growth when it came to hijab. I do it for Allah. It was always about Allah and never a man, society or to please other Muslims.

But when you decide hijab is for you, where do you buy them from?

HIDDEN PEARLS

Christal Joan: I received this package from a hijab company called Hidden Pearls. Read my review on the blog and find out why I started wearing hijab

There are so many great companies out there that sell hijabs. Hidden Pearls is just one of them. They were kind enough to send me 2 hijabs for review. One of which I chose, a white chiffon hijab from the chiffon hijab range, and one I didn’t, a green hijab with gold trimming. Although I chose the chiffon, I later found out that chiffon is really not for me.

I was also asked to write about my own hijab journey, hence this article and another to follow.

With the recent hot weather in the UK I was up for a change but chiffon is not what I’m used to or happy to work with every day. With a wedding coming up soon insha Allah, I can’t wait to try out the green hijab with some potential outfits. It’s dressy enough for me to wear there but not so dressy that I’ll feel uncomfortable.

Hijab is a command from Allah. But like anything, Allah has given us free will to decide whether we choose His path or our own with our own rules. May Allah swt make it easy for our dear sisters to embrace the hijab for the right reasons and find barakah in it, Ameen.

CHRISTAL JOAN Blog Signature

UPDATE: Hidden Pearls have recently branched out and started providing Islamic Gifts. With another Eid coming up, it’s worth checking out.

21 thoughts on “Why I Chose to Wear The Hijab

1. Saroosh M says:

Subhan Allah! I had the same thoughts when I started the hijab. Wearing a hijab represents that I’m a muslim, Alhumdulillah =)

May Allah keep us in love with our hijabs and safe from the haters. Ameen.

2. Janet Kozak says:

I love that you made it a little further down the hijab-wearing road each day – literally. What a lovely metaphor for the whole convert experience. May Allah accept it from all of us.

• Christal Joan says:

Ameen. Jazakillahu khayrun sis. It felt like the longest road ever at the time! It’s literally 20+ steps lol

3. Chelsea says:

Such a beautiful story sis, maa shaa Allah. And I love that you touched on the fact that hijab is meant to help us identify as Muslim women. It’s a point that so many people overlook and yet it’s such a beautiful thing! One of my favorite parts about wearing hijab is being visibly Muslim. While that can be hard at times, I’ve honestly experienced so much respect and kindness from people and can genuinely see a difference in the way people interact with me. Even my own family says sorry if they swear in front of me lol!

• Christal Joan says:

Jazakillahu khayrun sis. It’s soo amazing how that works out isn’t it? It’s very true though, it’s not something that’s really highlighted much as an explanation as to why we wear hijab. It’s either the lollipop metaphor or to stop men’s temptations lol

4. Munni says:

Great post sis! Its such an awesome feeling that you get when you fulfill Allah’s command. Plus it has so many benefits to it as well as a great reward inshAllah! Ameen for your beautiful dua’a! Btw I buy hijabs from Amsons or any shop where i see nice ones!

• Christal Joan says:

Ameen sis. I’m always in Amsons but I never buy hijabs in there. It really does hold so many benefits and I pray Allah swt brings us all closer to understanding and embracing hijab, Ameen

5. Nadia says:

Great post. I agree, hijab is far more easier to accept when you’re given the space to find love for it yourself.

Thanks for the recommendation too. We can necer have too many!

• Christal Joan says:

Hijab can be such a beautiful thing with proper time and understanding. I know so many that tried to jump in head first and still struggle now because of it. Jazakillahu khayrun for the comment and YES you can never have too many lol

6. Lubna says:

I love cotton and viscose hijabs….and they are perfect for the hot weather in India. The colors of hijabs in the site are awesome..I can related to you on first time wearing hijab….

• Christal Joan says:

I really want to try more cotton hijabs. I can’t STAND the bobbling i keep getting with the viscose. Jazakillahu khayrun for commenting sis I’m glad you enjoyed the article

7. Fatima says:

Even I am of the opinion that every individual must have their own personal choice in opting to wear the hijab or not. I wear it and that’s my personal choice. No one forced me to wear it but in the summer months I really feel hot because of it.

• Christal Joan says:

May Allah swt make it easy for you sis, Ameen.

I think it’s everyones personal choice, just as with anything in Islam but it doesn’t stop it from being an obligation if you get what I mean. It sure does get hot though lol

8. Fozia S says:

JazakAllah Khair for sharing your story! I love that it was your mum that went with you to get your first one!

I don’t get on with chiffon ones either….struggle to get it to stay on without loads of pins!

And thank you for mentioning my article!

• Christal Joan says:

Wa iyyaki sis. Yeh mum’s a goodun lol. No problem sis, it was a brilliant article and really relevant for the time.

9. Anisah Abdullah says:

Awww Ma’shallah! I always get a bit emotional reading stories like this. I love your honesty about it not being particularly easy. I wear niqab and mabye believe because I have done it for so long that it must be a piece of cake, NOT TRUE! May Allah bless your journey ameen

• Christal Joan says:

Ameen. Jazakillahu khayrun sis. I often feel that if more people were honest about things like this rather than (from the outside) making it look easy as pie, more sisters would seek advice and insha Allah come to embrace the hijab for the right reasons and not for fashion or societal pressure