Bismillahir rahmanir raheem
Alhamdulillah, I am happy to announce that after Ramadan myself and the wonderful sisters over at Daily Muslimah on Facebook will be collaborating on a project inshaAllah!
Both Joanna and Aline are lovely sisters and I asked them a few questions so we could all get to know the super talented sisters behind the Daily Muslimah!
Tell us a bit about yourselves
I am Joanna, from Poland. I met Alina in one of the Facebook groups for sisters who are reverts. Me and her were (and still are) quite active there, for instance before Ramadan I started a small campaign there called #PreRamadanBooster, where we would share our tips and daily reminders to boost our imaan. And Alina, being absolutely amazing graphic designer would post inspirational pictures which were designed by her. From the very first moment I liked her a lot. She is very positive, open and friendly yet at the same time she is super modest!
I am Alina, from Cuba but living in Romania since 2009. I converted to Islam just few months ago, exactly in April. I met Joanna in this amazing Facebook group “Ahlan New Muslims Community”. Joanna was always posting her daily reminders and was so active and creative with a lot of ideas to make the group more active. We connected immediately, she is full of energy and happy and friendly and soooo sweet.
What motivated you to start Daily Muslimah?
As I mentioned before, our friendship is based on positive vibes and love we have for Islam. We love each other for the sake of Allah and therefore we wanted to infect people with this loveJ Also, we wanted Daily Muslimah to be our Ramadan project. We thought : “Ok, here’s the thing, we are newbies and there are lots of things we don’t know. We used to feel so lonely without sisterly love, so what if other girls feel the same? We gotta do something about it!” To be honest I assumed Daily Muslimah would be followed just by our close circle but Subhan Allah! Within 3 days, we reached more than 800 followers! People commenting and sharing pictures of our two imaginary girls Mariam and Amira- that made us so happy!
If you could give 5 pieces of advice to a new Muslim, what would they be?
1) Take it easy! Don’t go extreme. Find your inner balance. Don’t try to achieve everything within 5 minutes, take it slowly but effectively. If you want to dress modestly but still you are anxious about hijab, it is totally fine. If you make that sincere intention to dress modestly and for example you start to wear t-shirt instead of top and then after a while long sleeve instead of t-shirt then insha Allah you will be rewarded. The intention matters a lot and this is why I love Islam so much!
2) Read! Educate yourself! Listen to lectures, attend free webinars, and listen to scholars such as Nouman Ali Khan. It was he who actually made me so motivated! Pursue knowledge but again it’s not about buying 10000 books and reading them all at the same time. Take it easy. Make progress every day!
3) Don’t give up on non-Muslim family. Never! If they are not accepting you now or they are reluctant and they don’t understand you- it is totally fine. Give them time they need. Always try to walk their shoes, how would you feel if you would be in their position? Remember, that your mum is the most important person in your life and heaven lies under her feet. So respect her and never turn your back away from her.
4) Be patient. My favourite Arabic word is SABR. If you have that patience, you can do everything! Worship whilst being patient.
5) Smile! It’s sunnah! Don’t ever think you are alone! There are lots of sisters who will support you!
If you could convey one verse from the Qur’an, what would it be?
And keep yourself patient [by being] with those who call upon their Lord in the morning and the evening, seeking His countenance. And let not your eyes pass beyond them, desiring adornments of the worldly life, and do not obey one whose heart We have made heedless of Our remembrance and who follows his desire and whose affair is ever [in] neglect. (18:28)
What’s next for Daily Muslimah? What can we expect from you both in the future?
As Daily Muslimah is a new project, we still need to learn a lot. We are constantly discussing ideas with each other. For now we are thinking of doing the Ramadan series and insha Allah some nice contests are in our minds too J We want Daily Muslimah to be the place where you can write when you feel down or upset, we want to give people the comfort that really, they are not alone. We are one amazing ummah! Daily Muslimah is a fruit of our passion and we want to treat people who are part of it in individual way, so we want to be able to reach everybody to be able to make you all smile. Also, we want to convey the message that if a girl from Romania and a girl from Poland (who have never seen each other in person) can meet and start online project then everything is possible insha Allah if your intention is pure and sound!
Latest posts by Christal Joan (see all)
- The Shia Muslims Nextdoor - August 28, 2018
- LaYinka, I’m Sorry It Took Sooo Long! Evolve & Emerge Review - May 29, 2018
- Life’s Journey: Where Have I Been? What Am I Doing? - March 19, 2018